CHURCH OF OUR LADY OF MOUNT CARMEL, MUFF
Records show that there was a church since 1787. When Bishop Plunket visited the area in April 1798 he recorded, “compliments paid on the repairs of the chapel of Muffin which a new altar was erected”. It was T-shaped in structure and remained in use until 1858, when Fr. O’Reilly built the present church. In 1974 the Dublin Glass Company fitted a stained glass window above the main door. It is depicting the Assumption of Our Lady and was a gift from Mrs. Coleman, Rocks Road, in memory of her parents. Harry Clarke Studio designed the Crucifixion Window, behind the main altar. It shows the Blessed Virgin and St. John at the foot of the Cross with Mary Magdalene kneeling embracing it.
The skull depicted beside the foot of the Cross identifies the place as Calvary, and it is shown, to symbolise the victory of Christ over death, by its sacrifice on the cross.
The window was a gift from Mrs. Rose Bradley of Edenagora. In 1977 the church was renovated and reopened on Christmas Day.
To mark the year 2000, a local committee decided that a Grotto in the honour of Our Lady of Mount Carmel would be erected in the church grounds as a fitting memorial of the great Jubilee.
The Grotto was erected during the early summer and blessed by Most Rev. Michael Smith, Bishop of Meath on the feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, 16 July 2000. The Bishop walked with several hundreds pilgrims from the old Mass Rock on Lough an Lea to the Church. At the Mass Rock a brief history of the religious traditions of the area was given by Mrs. Alacoque McMahon.
*The text above is taken from ‘Kingscourt – A Journey of Faith’ published in 2000